I know it sounds harsh, but let me explain! I love a good classic...I am all about having key pieces in my closet that last through each season. To me, these are the items that are worth a few extra dollars and the ones I tend to buy in multiples.
However, there are some known classics that every woman either has or should have; every woman except for me. It's not that I don't like them per se...I just don't like them ON ME. Whether it's a past experience or just my personal taste, the following are classics you will most likely never see me wear... (I say most likely because a few years ago I would have said flats and shorts and now I wear them like crazy).
Here we go...
1. Wrap Dresses - Wrap Dresses (specifically classic DVFs) are known to fit every figure. They are supposed to highlight curves and hide problem areas. Maybe that works for most people but for me, they look HIDEOUS and highlight my problem areas. First, I have no chest so there is no peak of cleavage bonus. Second, I basically have no waist but what would-be-considered-my-actual-waist is so high I don't want to draw attention to it. So really these are no-go all the way around and unless my body changes drastically. It's a little sad because I love DVF and her prints but at least she makes other styles I can enjoy!
Loving this DVF Shift Dress that I could totally wear!
2. Red Lipstick / Red Nail Polish - No matter how hard I try, when I wear red lipstick or polish, I look like I am dressing up in my mom's clothes/makeup. It just doesn't look right on me and I have tried pretty much all different shades of red. Also, I am a big smokey eye girl (I am addicted to eyeliner, remember) so I tend to always have a neutral, pale lip. Maybe I am just so used to pale lips that it looks extra weird on me. Who knows but you won't see me in it!
3. Denim Jackets - I think the 80's and 90's ruined me forever. I probably had like 30 denim jackets and no matter how in they might be, I can't help but have flashbacks of my jean jacket with NKTOB pins all over it. Ugh...I just can't do it again. One exception to the rule...white denim jackets. I am not 100% sure I could do it, but if I do, white is the only way to go!
I've always loved this pin - not sure if it's the jacket or the dog, though!
4. Strappy Heels (non-platform) - There are two main reasons I won't wear a basic strappy heel. One, I am addicted to platforms and any heel without an elevated toe is a no-go. Two, my feet tend to flatten (my husband laughs when I say that, but they do!) and they don't look great with straps going across them. But, add in a 2 inch platform and a 5-6 inch heel to any of these babies and I'll rock them. Like these are perfect for me...
5. Real Leather Pants - I want to say it's because I love animals (I do) but really, I won't ever wear real leather pants for the sheer comfort factor. I don't have super skinny legs so they are always tight on me and they just don't stretch when you move. Then there is the heat factor...and the fact that Ross had such a hard time with them. Never forget Ross and his leather pants...
If the paste matches the pants, you can make yourself a pair of Paste pants - ha!
What are some items considered classics that you won't / don't wear??